Saturday, May 1, 2010

Tra La! It's May!

I've had a long tradition of listening to Julie Andrews sing "The Lusty Month of May" on May Day. Yes, I know it's silly and corny, but it's become a touchstone of my year, like putting the star on the Christmas tree, preparing a special dish for Thanksgiving, or making S'mores on the 4th of July.

May Day is not a religious holiday. It's among the most pagan celebrations of nature. But Christianity has a long history of absorbing and transforming pagan traditions and symbols. The Bible and the Gospel message are capable of embracing our entire lives, and sometimes we do need a reminder to throw caution to the wind, to be happy and enjoy our lives.

Surely our celebrations today won't take quite the same form that Guenevere's song implies, but I hope everyone does embrace life with a lusty zeal. Sometimes I see May Day as another chance to renew New Year's resolutions. It's the season of spring cleaning, summer plans, miles of running in the warm weather, yard work, and all kinds of ambitious new projects. Think of Julie/Guenevere and sing Tra La as you embrace spring!

1 comment:

  1. Tra-la! I was thinking of you on the first my friend! :) Happy May!

    ReplyDelete