Friday, June 19, 2009

Father's Day music

I want to highlight two musical moments for this Sunday's music.

First, Joanne will be singing a solo, "Peace Be Still" during the offering. With the absence of the choir over the summer, it's wonderful that some of our members will volunteer to sing and enrich our services. We can honor God and our fellow congregants with offerings of music as well. When you prayerfully consider your own contributions to the church, be sure to ask if God has blessed you with gifts that you can share. We're always happy to welcome "special music" as well as new choir members!

Second, I'll be playing an arrangement of "This is My Father's World" during communion. It will be a jazzier sound from the piano than you normally hear from me. That's partly an homage to my father, who always appreciates an eclectic music mix. It's also become a part of my own music philosophy to seek out worthy music in all styles.

On many Sundays, we hear Bach and Luther, classical music and chorales. Joanne and I have prepared two decidedly more contemporary pieces for this week, and I hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tom. I wish I could be there to hear you play this week. Like you, I am not a great fan of Father's Day or Mother's Day, since they both carry so much societal baggage. It would be better if there were simply a Parent's Day. The image of God as parent, the one who provides, protects, and loves unconditionally, is a very potent one. Since none of us can truly "know" God, this metahporical way of speaking can be very useful in teaching us how to live. Unfortunately, in the world today the question is rapidly becoming: Where have all the parents gone? My Father's Day prayer is that He would help us all be better children, so we might then know how important it is to also be a great parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful music this past Sunday with both the piece sung by Joanne and the jazzier "This is My Father's World."

    ReplyDelete